Thursday, August 7, 2008

I just Pick up the Phone now

When someone is ill or has just had a loss, some of us don't know how to reach out. Should we call, should we email or write?

A few years ago at Star, Vivienne, who was ill gave a wonderful service. Her main message was let the people decide whether to pick up the phone or open a card. They are in control of all of that, so reach out. Don't let the worry about intruding be a reason to not reach out.

I am not saying that it is any easier for me to reach out, since I attended Vivienne's service. It isn't easy and none of us like to necessarily reach out when times are bad.

Anyway, a few times in the last few months, there have been difficult times, as recent as today; and Vivienne's words are what encouraged me to pick up the phone. I don't do it every time, but I do it more often. Vivienne is no longer with us, after much struggle, but her words will always be with me. How nice it is to have teachers around when we are ready and people around who we will remember always even after they are gone?

No comments: