Friday, January 14, 2011

Memory of Qammi - enter Shakes the wonder cat

Hopefully this is not in the category of oversharing.  When our chocolate lab was alive, she and I had a silly little routine.  I take a bath in the morning and she would run into the bathroom as soon as she heard the water running. Qammi would sit patiently waiting until I held water in my hands and she had her morning drink of water.  I don't know how this routine started. A few guests were surprised by her pushing open the bathroom door, when they started the water running for their bath or shower.

I have missed this routine since she died.  Enter Shakes, our rather uncoordinated cat, to say the least.  He has cerebellar hypoplasia so other than shaking and being uncoordinated, he is a "normal" cat.  Since Bee left for college last week, he has been rather lonely and has followed me into then bathroom for my morning bath.  The first few mornings he tried to get up on the edge of the bath tub but fell or flopped onto the ground.  In a way I was glad that he could not replace Qammi in this silly little routine.  

He may not be coordinated but he is determined. This morning, he got himself up on the edge, and he stayed there, mildly shaking, so I tried the water in hands routine, and he drank the water out of my hands.  His name is Shakes because he does shake, so not very much water reached his mouth.  The memories of Qammi were there, but the experience was different enough that I just sat and grinned AND then he fell down and flopped on the floor saying "See, I knew I could do it, I just needed a little more practice, see you tomorrow, same time, same place."

No comments: