Saturday, December 3, 2011

I won't be defeated by technology

I refuse to be defeated by technology.  For a few weeks now, my iphone and ipad calendars have had something funky going on.  Funky is a technical term BTW.  Yesterday, I started getting alerts on my iphone and ipad which I had not been getting before.  New feature I thought.  Actually it turns out that another calendar account on the ipad and iphone were associated with another family member's calendar, and that calendar has alerts set up.  My calendar was not the default.  HMMMMM?  I had deleted and re-added my email account three weeks ago to try to fix the problem, and during that process the default calendar changed.

It was not really bothering me a lot, however, I knew that at some point I would have to resolve it.  Why today?  I had a few minutes and I was mildly frustrated with having to look at both iphone and ipad for calendar entries.  I was cruising along, comparing my desktop yahoo calendar with ipad and iphone and then . . .
BIG MISTAKE:  I deleted my account on the iphone with any calendar events which I had input there.  At first I was pretty peeved with myself, but being the quintessential Pollyanna, I knew I could recover from that.  I would have to find out what recent events I had input into just the iphone, e.g. hair dressing appointment in January.  I will have to "Think like Sally" to recover all of those.  (If I blow you off in the next few weeks, here is my apology in advance.)  Sorry.

I searched some Apple forums, and other people have had the same problem (sync between Yahoo calendar and Iphone) recently and it is not clear whether it is an Apple or Yahoo problem.  I don't care, I just want my ipad, iphone and desktop to reflect the same calendar, and for now they do.

On to the next problems of duplicated contacts on my iphone, which meekishly I tell you has gone on for months.  Better duplicated than deleted and gone forever.
Bottom line is I am willing to put up with inaccuracies for a bit, but sooner or later, I want that technical challenge and I jump in.  This explains why a prior career of mine was as a computer programmer.  I love finding bugs, and am convinced that I will always find it, or them. 
Today, Technology did not defeat me, and only briefly did I think it might.

2 comments:

MARY Knuth said...

AMEN, this I believe. I will learn the technology I need
Mary

Always Asking Why said...

Mary, that is a great way to think about it