Friday, September 3, 2010

2010 - Summer of golf and learnings

No, the summer is not yet over, even though Labor Day weekend begins in a few short hours, but I figure I would post this while the thoughts are fresh.

I set out this summer with the explicit intention to play lots of golf.  I regularly played on Monday night with women friends and on Thursday mornings in the Intuit golf league.  Don't cringe, but we teed off at 6:06 for the early birds and 7:03 for those who slept in. I also try to play in Vermont with my family the weekends we are up there. 

Before this week, when my club really started connecting with the ball I used to be baffled at how some of my compatriots could lose so many balls, and not know where their balls had gone.  I was not hitting the ball long enough to ever lose any balls.  The only place mine ended up was in the H2O.  In fact, I have had the same pocket of balls for years, because I never lost them.  This week I ran out of that pocket of balls and started playing with new fresh pink balls.  I had one drive this week where I actually lost a ball in the rough.  I had another drive on the 7th hole at Pine Meadows, where I usually drive just over a hill.  This week it was way far down that hill.  I could not believe my ball went that far. 

It is very exciting to be improving.  My score is not drastically better, but my drives are consistent and getting longer.  Practice, practice, practice does improve your game.

I am no longer baffled about how I could possibly lose a ball in the rough.   I am not surprised that my drives are longer and more consistent.  I knew entering the summer of golf that if I played this much I was bound to get better.  It is too bad, for my golf game, that fall is approaching.  Maybe a winter vacation to a golf destination is in order.  

No comments: