Wednesday, April 11, 2012

I am not going to finish these books

Earlier in my life, if I started a book, I finished it, even if I was not enjoying it. This week, I started two books, and half way through both of them I slammed them shut and refused to continue reading them.

I might say that I am too old to waste my time reading books that I am not enjoying. That is not the problem. In both cases, there was a description that led me to think, "this is not going in a direction that I will enjoy". Sometimes in these cases, I might peek at the ending to see if it is a happy one. Not these two books. There was some foreshadowing in both cases, that were clues, which I ignored, but once the description of a scene was too vivid, I was done.

This is different from not being able to get into a book. I started "The Help" twice before I read it to the end, and I had to start "Caleb's Crossing" twice before I could get into it. In those cases, I ended up loving them.

This character flaw is very similar to another post of mine about scary movies. My imagination is too vivid and I will have nightmares about the paragraphs that caused me to slam the books shut. AND, there are too many good books out there that I will enjoy.

BTW, the two books I slammed shut are "Little Bee" and "A Spot of Bother".


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: