Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Scary Movies and the Oscars

Around the time that "Silence of the Lambs" won an Oscar for best movie, I decided to try to see the Oscar nominated movies prior to the Oscars. I never did see that movie. Even today, just seeing clips of it scare me. I did not understand any references to it during the awards ceremony which is I guess my loss.

The same thing is happening this year with "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". Someone who knows and loves me said, "don't read the book and definitely don't see the movie." We have a saying in our house, usually following an advert for a movie or a preview which is "Not a Mom movie".

I really do limit myself to the movies which I enjoy, since I won't tolerate too much violence, suspense, blood and guts, etc. Give me a nice love story or even a sad love story. I actually surprise myself at the movies that I can watch, since I have given myself permission to NOT SEE a movie, even if it is a blockbuster.

Since I have become more aware of how sensitive I am, I have not gone to a movie in a theater, that I had to walk out of. Prior to that, I have walked out of two movies, "Trainspotting" and "American Beauty". I would have walked out of others prior to this, if I had given myself permission to. I sat in the front row of the theater for "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and spent most of the time trying to climb and sit under my seat, covering my eyes and ears. I did not enjoy myself at all.

So for this year's movies, I won't go to see "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" but I might go see the rest. "War Horse" is a toss up since it is about war and it seems like a sad story.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

susanb said...

I know what you mean. My s-i-l bought war horse for us to watch and I didn't really want to. The girl with the dragon tattoo book series I read. They were gory but compelling reading. I haven't seen the movie. What are your thoughts on the hunger games? But yes, I agree - life is too short to read books that you know you aren't going to enjoy, or to see movies that are depressing.