Friday, October 30, 2015

Turkey - coffee

Let me start by saying that I love Turkish coffee.  I knew I would like it before we even set foot on Turkish soil.

If you get to any country and expect their food and drink to be what you left in your homeland, you will be disappointed.  They do serve Americano coffee in Turkey, but why would you drink American coffee there?  Actually in Turkey, any coffee with milk seems to be Americano coffee.

While we were there our leader explained how to make Turkish coffee in the copper pot.  Bethany actually brought me one from her visit in 2010, and I have used it a few times but not with extra energy, I am going to use it more.

The one observation I did have trouble with, is that the Turkish men sit in coffee shops and smoke and play backgammon while their women are at home, raising children and working.  I really tried not to judge this but I have to say the hair on the back of my neck was raised many times as I observed the men talking politics.  I was very careful to not sit in an area where as a I woman I was not welcome.
At the Spice Bizarre in Istanbul, Rod's Diet Coke and my Turkish coffee
We asked them if we could take their picture in the village we visited


Nurdan, our guide, taking their picture


So, the coffee is thick, dark, strong and gritty.  You should let the grounds settle to the bottom of the cup before you drink it.  One of our travelers had people read his fortune in the grounds.  Apparently you turn the cup upside down on the saucer, wait for it to settle, and then read your fortune in the leftover in the cup, not the grounds on the saucer.

I have to admit, that I did miss my Dunkin' Donuts and Starbucks coffee while in Turkey but not enough to frequent the Starbucks we saw in Taksim Square in Istanbul.  I cannot say I loved the Turkish coffee at first, but I learned to love it the longer we were there.

It does seem that many cultures or countries do have their special coffee routine.  In Italy, you stand up at a coffee bar, and down a cup quickly.  The Parisians love their coffee shops and in Morocco we got a lot of cafe au lait because of the French influence.

Adding a story about tea, we got very used to drinking our tea in Turkey in an hour glassed shaped glass.  We got so used to it that the last night when we were served tea in "American" mugs we were a bit miffed and asked the waiter.  Apparently the last OAT (Overseas Adventure Travel) had complained about the glasses so they figured we were the same.  We had become so adjusted to the glasses and in a way we were honoring the Turkish way, rather than imposing our American expectations on the server.  It was so interesting to realize the difference between our two groups of similar American travelers.

I cannot understand traveling and expecting the same environment as the one you are familiar with.  I like to notice the differences AND I like to try to adopt the way of the country I am visiting.  I can return soon enough to my Dunkin' and Starbucks, and enjoy them as familiar.

No comments: