Monday, October 26, 2015

Turkey - WCs


After our experience with toilets in Morocco last year, I approached Turkey with a bit of trepidation.  I use the WC a lot, every hour if possible so knowing that there are Asian (equating) and European (toilets) I was a  bit worried.  In the spice bizarre in Istanbul, they have a sign pointing to Asian versus European.  Because of this worry, and because there are some interesting ways that WCs are represented, I decided to take some pictures of interesting ones.  In my very first few days I made the mistake of using a Mens bathroom.  How was I supposed to know that Bay is for men, and Bayan is for women? A fellow male traveler met me coming of the Gents and looked at me askance.  He also visited a WC every hour as well.  I ended up using squat toilets 3 times, and was so glad our guide told us about raising your pants to your knees before starting.

Here are some of my favorites and before the WC pictures here is one in the Blue Mosque.  
When we asked our guide why women pray separately in mosques and at the back of the room, she said that husbands don't want other men looking at their women.



In the caravan where we saw the whirling dervishes.
















I guess it is clear which one to use, if you wear high heels and smoke a pipe!



At the rug making factory, one of my favorites

What is it with Smurfs popularrity?

Yes, this was in the middle of a field

which way?


No comments: