Friday, July 13, 2007

Happy Friday the 13th and Triggers

The only 2 bad things that have happened to me on Friday the 13th are 1) I ran into my parents garage, backing out, just after I got my license and 2) Rod was turned back by INS at Terminal E when he was in the visa process, due to an incompetent labor lawyer. So the day rolls around and I think about what might happen but I am not really that superstitious about it.

Now on to triggers. At work we talk about triggers a lot. A trigger is any behavior by some one else that causes a reaction in you, such that you are not really in control of your emotional response. That is not exactly the definition, because I don't do exact definitions but it is close. So "What are my triggers?" The most obvious one is when someone acts like a victim, woe is me, they are doing this to me etc. I feel my blood pressure rise, I tense up, I interrupt the person and try to get them to act less like a victim and take charge. Additional insight for me over the years, is that I am triggered by something that I am afraid of exhibiting in myself, so in reality I act like a victim at times and I don't like it when I act like that.

The key to triggers is figure out what they are, catch yourself early in the reaction stage, and try to not react. I have other triggers too, surprise, surprise. Any observations on what they might be?

No comments: