Friday, July 6, 2007

Settling in with Settlers

Summer is time to play games. Growing up we spent summers on Gardiner Island on Lake Champlain. I have so many wonderful memories of playing board games on the screend in porch at the Island and hours and hours of card games. I am not sure how we fit all of this in, since I remember swimming right after breakfast, until lunch, wait 1 hour after eating, jump in again, get out for dinner, and sometimes swim after dinner. BUT, we did find time to play games, "Go to the Head of the Class", of course "Monopoly" and "Parcheesi" etc. I learned how to play Bridge at the elbow of my parents and grand parents and I only trumped my partners Ace once. So our family played lots of games and it is always a surprise to me to meet someone who does not like games often because they did not grow up with them.

Fast Forward to Christmas, 2006, Crick and Meg introduced us to Settlers of Catan. They did not have their own game yet, but their friends Augie and Meredith brought their game over and we played. We played again with them after that and at Kenneth's 40th birthday party there was an intense game of the cousins.

It was one of those impulse buys, I just had to have my own set. On July 3rd we stayed up until 1:30am playing and tonight we just finished a game. Yes, my husband who refuses most offers to play games, and prefers to dive into a book on the periphery of the room wanted to play a second game tonight. We have settled into playing this game. I am trying to figure out how we could play it in Gloucester with 75 of our Star friends at a Star gathering. I don't think there is the table space and there would be too many distractions, so we will leave the game here but maybe a late Sunday night game is in order as we await the 50th birthday of my husband.

No comments: