Monday, January 21, 2008

Surprised again, for the second time


I have been totally surprised twice in my life. The first one was on my 39th birthday. I had threatened close family and friends with death if they did anything on my 40th birthday so they surprised me on my 39th. I thought I was going to a play with Rachel and instead it was a surprise birthday party.

The weekend after my last post, at the jacket reunion, there was the second surprise. When I can get a picture of it I will post it here but briefly, many of the women that we have taught to make the jacket, secretly for the last few years have been making a quilt out of blocks that contain the fabrics from their jackets. They made 2 quilts, one for Amy and one for me. The quilts are absolutely amazing. The potluck was an opportunity to get together, and they presented the quilts part way through the evening.

Part of my baggage is that if I have something so special like this, I don't want to use it. Not this time. The quilt is on our couch and on these cold winter evenings, I have been crawling underneath it, feeling the warmth that our jacket community has given to me and everyone else involved.

No comments: