Wednesday, June 18, 2008

New York versus New England Sports Fans

Prior to the Red Sox 2004 World Series championship, I don't think I was really a true blue Boston Sports fan. Growing up, I rooted for the Yankees, because everyone else in my family rooted for the Red Sox. I am a rebel at heart, a contrarian and I don't want to be a square peg in a square hole. That series was absolutely incredible. Last night watching the Cetics, even when they were almost 35 points ahead, I still believed that they might possibly lose. With 2 minutes to go, and 35 points ahead of the Lakers, I could relax a little bit. Do we realize how lucky we are to have the teams we have? Patriots, Red Sox, and this year the Celtics. I have not watched this many basketball games since 1986, the last time the Celtics raised a banner to the rafters of the Old Garden. I am still not sure I am a Boston Sports family like many of the rest of my family, and certainly not as intense as they are. We have had many discussion lately about New York Yankees and Red Sox, and why we hate the Yankees and then the conversation goes into similar feelings about Vermonters and New Yorkers. The best comment if from Meg, "It is not that I hate New Yorkers, it is that I love Vermonters so much." I guess last night and the Celtics win made me more of a Boston Sports Fan. I certainly had no inclination to root for the Lakers.

No comments: