Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Ducks in a Row

A few years ago, I simplified my rubber duckies in the bathroom and just left 4 small ones on the window sill in the bathroom. They have been there since. With my children grown at the time, they no longer played with them in the bath. Truth be told they had not played with them for decades but one can hold onto memories for a while. I could not get rid of all of them so kept these 4, well contained on the sill.

My friend, K was visiting and sheepishly came out of the bathroom and said "I don't mean to be cheeky, but you have all your ducks in a row." She probably did not say cheeky, but I heard cheeky.

For the rest of the day, during our conversations we used this expression with each other about our lives. In fact, at this point in time we both have our ducks in a row.

When you are raising kids, working full time, attending school and holding a household together it can feel like the ducks are scattered all across the ponds.

I miss the days of bath time with children in the bath tub with the rubber duckies. These remind me of that time, and they remind me of how wise K is. I will get more when the grandchildren come along.

I count my blessings that, yes "My ducks are in a row!"


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: