Monday, May 21, 2012

8000 Georgetown Pike- there is still a 711 at Spring Hill Road!

On my way back to Dulles last night I visited memories of my childhood visiting my grandmother at 8000 Georgetown Pike in McLean VA. Mama lived there until she died in 1993, at which point the property was sold and developed.

I found my way there on the new super duper highways, and the old narrow winding "country" roads. The road is so windy around her old property that I would not be able to just pull over, and I also knew from a sibling, that it is now a gated community.

I really wanted to see any semblance of her house and swimming pool being still there. I did pull in and was going to take a picture of the gate, since her old property is down the small dirt road and over a small hill. A resident pulled in just then and looked at me like a vandal (or whoever else they are keeping out with the gate) so I pulled out with only a picture in my head of the gate. In a way it is good the gate was there because I had no chance of seeing something else on the footprint of her house and pool.

The road to her house has never been widened, and the 711 that we often visited is still on Spring Hill Road. The road west to Dulles is very much the same, and Bull Run Park, and the Madeira School look the same.

So I carry images of Mama's house and pool in my head and I don't need to go find 8000 Georgetown Pike again. It was a great trip down memory lane with ups and downs, and not just ones on the windy road.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: