Monday, May 21, 2012

Getting to the Airport Early Yadda Yadda Yadda

OK, so it is Monday morning, and a busy metropolitan airport, yadda yadda yadda.  This morning, I had a 9:10 am flight out of Dulles to Boston.  I slept at a hotel very near the airport, set the alarm for 6 am, made a cup of coffee and went to the lobby at 6:25.

I just missed the shuttle to the airport while the front desk person checked me out.  Again, I should not be panicking, since I left myself plenty of time.  He said there was another shuttle out there.  15 minutes later the shuttle arrived, yadda yadda yadda.

When I got to the Jet Blue kiosk, I do what I usually do in Boston and check a bag in.  Usually you proceed to the counter and check in the bag.  It usually takes less than 5 minutes.  It took me 30 minutes.  It would have been faster to go to the full service counter. yadda yadda yadda

I then proceeded to TSA.  I am fine once I get through TSA, where I can get my coffee and breakfast, and then get some walking exercise in.  We waited for one of the people movers for about 10 minutes and we were then moved to another screening area.  At that point they made another line for checking boarding pass and identification.  It took 45 minutes to get through that mess.  I must have just hit the time in the morning when everything starts taking much longer but don't they plan for Monday mornings, yadda yadda 

So leaving almost 3 hours from eyes open to take off should be plenty of time but not if almost everything takes much longer than you expect. 

If someone today got to the airport only 1 hour ahead of time they would have missed their flight for sure. 

This is why I get to the airport early, so if everything lands jelly side down, I can still make my flight and often I get my daily exercise in after the TSA screening before the flight.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

JFK Airport Limo Service also provide a town service.




JFK Airport Limo Service

kinly said...

Ny One Limousine and shuttle service. Jfk Airport Limo providing professional chauffeur services on all major New York airports.