Friday, December 14, 2012

Cannot quite process this latest shooting

I cannot quite process a shooting in a kindergarten class, and yet I have to watch the news for updates.  It is not the same at all, but this is the way I felt watching 911.  This is a different time, because when I logged into Facebook just now, many of my friends have commented about the shootings, and a dear friend used to live in this town.  Even though I am sitting at home alone, I feel connected to them as I process this latest horrible news.

I have to believe that we have two big issues here, gun control and mental health.  Gun control is legislative.  Mental Health is so complex.  There is so much we just don't know about the brain and what could cause anyone to shoot a kindergartner.

I wonder if the news media did not cover things like this 24/7, if there would be less of it?

For some people the only way to get your minute of fame is to do something like this.  I remember feeling that way when the attempt was made on Reagan's life.

My inclination is to grab my loved ones and crawl into a cave somewhere.  I am doing the next best thing by retreating to Vermont/Coniston with a lot of my family and friends for the weekend.

As Ellen DeGeneres says at the end of each show "Be kind to one another". 

No comments: