Sunday, December 30, 2012

Read The Hobbit

"Read the Hobbit" has become a shortcut phrase in our house.  I cannot remember when it started but Chris was young, maybe 8.  One of us was looking for a book to read and Rod said "Read the Hobbit".  I think both Chris and I had started the book earlier than this first episode, but did not get into it, so our experience was not such a positive one at the time.

Any time after that, when the three of us would ask for a book to read, Rod replied "Read the Hobbit".  By this time, out of obstinance we were not going to pick it up.  It was sad that a book that was so dear to Rod was dismissed by the three of us.  I think he is still trying to get us to read it.

So, the topic of seeing the movie comes up, and I think I want to see it.  The dilemna is, will seeing the movie wreck the book for me which is what lots of movies do to perfectly well written books.  On the off chance that some day I do read it, should I wait to see the movie until that day.

Lots of people will think me crazy for my reaction to reading The Hobbit. That is OK.

So, we venture out in the snow later today to see the movie, and maybe, just maybe I will be inspired after having it pushed on me for 27 years to actually read the book.

No comments: