Tuesday, December 18, 2012

I wait for Santa and the arrival of the Oranges

Today's boxes
This time of year, there is a lot of waiting, patiently, for people to arrive and things to happen.  Almost since I left the family home, I have been receiving oranges from Florida at this time of year.  The boxes on the step are always a surprise though.  I did not know I was waiting for them, until I opened the door just now and saw this.

My grandmother always sent us a big box, and in fact, we store our Christmas decorations in those boxes, which are very strong BTW.  Living in New England, the arrival of citrus from Florida is so wonderful, and I feel like a queen until we make our way through that box.


Mom took over sending the box when Mama died in 1993, and I don't realize it but I am patiently awaiting their arrival.  It is a big part of our traditions this time of year, and I always remember Mama when they arrive.  The only senile thing she did was call Rodney, Roger.  One of our boxes came to Mr. and Mrs. Roger Lowe.  I loved her for this tiny flaw, and we still have the label on one of those older boxes.


Older boxes are from Mama
So as we proceed into the darkest time of the year, and continue to wait patiently for things to happen, we are blessed with sunshine and love of family, from Florida



No comments: