Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Coffee and Baths

The only two things missing on Star Island for me are good coffee and a nice bath.  However, I can last a really long time in Paradise without these two leisure activities.

Returning from Star yesterday, I was really cranky.  Some close to me would argue that this was caused by the lack of good coffee.  Maybe!

It gave me the opportunity to reflect on what I get and what is missing from my Island experience.  Yes, I miss good coffee and the showers, whereas they have been improved, are still not very good for their sole purpose of cleaning the body.  A pitcher of warm water and wash cloth only go so far to clean yourself.

Last summer, while volunteering, I made the coffee early one morning, so I know how the sausage is made of the coffee in this case.  When I get organized I bring my own coffee and filters and conduct a coffee ministry on Island.  This year I was not organized for any of my visits there.

So those two things are missing but what is present on Star is: natural beauty, good friends, spontaneous spirituality, rocking chairs and conversations you don't have in your normal day.

I was there for a Star Island Board meeting, so it was not my normal conference.  But other friends arrived on Island and unexpected greetings happened.  A friend from our July conference brought her new boy friend and we got to meet him and see her so happy.  We talked at dinner one night to a man who has not been back in 50 years, his last year working on the Island as a pelican (college age workers who run the Island).  He had tears in his eyes when he told us this.  You cannot described the experience of touching your foot down on the Pier, and being there again, even after 50 years, or a few weeks.

So I can do without the coffee and bath, for a pretty long time.  I am not sure however, that I can do without regular visits to Star in my life.

No comments: