Thursday, October 24, 2013

Sabbath - Weekends last forever now

I don't mean to rub it in, but our family no longer has "weekends", as in the two days of the week to travel, get errands done, socialize, tour, visit etc.

I realized this last night when we planned our next visit to our grand daughter.  My thinking is still locked into having to travel on the weekend to see her, oh and her father and mother.  I had a sinking feeling in my heart that it would be months before we could get up to see her.

"Well, we could go up in the middle of the week!" Rod said.  Yes we can and we will!

This is going to take some adjustment in my thinking.  We have segmented our daily living into weekdays and weekends, and in fact they have these names.  I sometimes wonder how we did all we did when we had two children at home, both worked full time and in there somewhere I got my Master's.

Recently our minister preached on the Sabbath and it has gotten me thinking about what 24 hours we could celebrate the Sabbath.  The challenge would be to put away our electronics, and TV.  It means to really honor the time period and rest and reflect and enjoy life slowed down.

I guess we could start in a shorter segment, which we did by attending the Vespers last Friday night at First Parish Lexington.

SO if you are looking for us in the middle of next week, we will be in Vermont visiting Sarah Hazel Swartzbaugh and her parents.  I guess we should let them know.........

No comments: