Wednesday, May 14, 2014

"The Lunchbox" Wow, what a system

We saw the move "The Lunchbox" last night which really got me thinking a lot.  I just now finished reading about this incredible delivery system of lunch to workers in India.

It is amazing in this day and age that such a complex system still exists, and yet a simple system.  It is nice to know that people still appreciate home cooked meals, versus a restaurant meal.

I wonder how long this system will exist, and how long it will continue to be an effective delivery of lunch to office workers.  The movie quite accurately shows Mumbai and the collecting of the lunch boxes by bicycle, sorting to get on the right train, then unloading them and delivering them on the other end, again by bicycle, to the office workers.  And in the afternoon leg, the collecting of the lunch box to return it to the home.

I suppose it gives a job to the deliverers, and provides a home cooked meal to workers with a specific dietary requirement.

On one hand, I really love that this system of delivery has existed for over 100 years, and again I wonder how long it will last.

The story line was wonderful.  It is true, that we express in writing, things we would not otherwise express face to face.  Both main characters are lonely, and share of themselves in notes left in the lunch tins.  They share a lot in these notes in fact.

The only thing that I did not like was the ending.  It left me hanging and caused me to make up the ending, which is OK I guess.

No comments: