Thursday, January 19, 2017

Two new Grandma Katie stockings in the extended family - three if you count Garrett's

It has been three years since there was a need for a Grandma Katie Christmas stocking.  I did not even realize that there are some unmet needs out there except my cousin Kit, who shares Grandma Katie, was visiting Vermont and the neuron fired.  Her daughter, the first of those first cousins,  just got married and her spouse might want one.  A few texts later Kit confirmed from Dusie, that yes, a stocking for Pete would be wonderful.  Unfortunately I mailed it in plenty of time but the USPS did not deliver it on time and Pete will have to use it in 2017 for the first time.  NEVER TRUST THE USPS and keep the receipt they give you so you can track your package (which I did not do).

In that conversation Judy (SIL) also expressed that she does not have one.  She has one that Mom knit her their first year of marriage, and has used that for 40 years, but it was not a Grandma Katie stocking.

It never occurred to me that she wanted one and as I wrote to her in the note for her stocking "All the important people in the world have two stockings, Crick, Me and now her".

So off I went to the yarn store, found the red green white and angora yarn for two stockings.  Honestly I love making them AND eventually my fingers will be too arthritic so someone in this next generation will have to learn the pattern.  We have two possibilities in the next generation and there will probably be a year in the future when there will be a need for 2-3 knitters as the next generation starts multiplying.

Another SIL is knitting her new son-in-law, Garrett, the stocking and found the exact pattern on Etsy.  WOW, just WOW.



I blogged about the stocking in 2007 when my nephew got his:  blog

UPDATE FROM 2018:  Here is the note Grandma Katie wrote me in the 1960s about my knitting.  I love her so much






1 comment:

Always Asking Why said...

OK 2018 and this may be the last year I knit Grandma Katie's stocking pattern because the torch is being passed to Bethany Russell-Lowe and Ruby Russell. In cleaning out Mom's stuff I found this note from Grandma Katie the original knitter of the stockings. She had a lat of faith in me way back when! I have added her note to the original post with pictures of the two I knit this year. One for Mike Hoagland's new wife and one for JAMES who will be anon until I know he got it and that it was not a secret.