Saturday, June 16, 2007

The Hamster Wheel did not break

From previous blogs you know that we had a very busy last 3 weeks. Several times during check-in of various groups that I belong to, I described my mindset as "On a hamster wheel, running as fast as I can and hoping that the wheel does not break or that I did not fall off of it!" The tenses in that last sentence are probably all wrong . . . oh well, I am not going to go back and try to figure them out.

BEL's graduation party last night was perfect. Our friend Debbie offered catering at our annual church auction last November and we bought it specifically for this occasion. Because of her genorosity I was able to not worry at all about the food and could talk to the guests and appreciate the moment. The party was a wonderful combination of Church Youth Advisors who have supported her through middle and high school, her youth group, her riding friends and families and her high school friends. Along one wall was her "art" which we have been collecting since early on, in the window was an almost life size picture of her on Autumn (we couldn't have him at the party) and BEL created a slide show of pics. There was way too much of the fabulous food and we are taking it to a huge potluck tonight.

As I drove and walked around today I realized how I have not been able to relax for about a month. I have not accessed my creativity or allowed my mind to wander as much as I usually do. I have been focused on making sure that the family unit moves through all of the events of the past month. I am sure some balls dropped, but they were not the big breakable balls.

I can now take back the fabric from Margaret, so I can start her jacket and write the letter to the Junior Teens for Star Island and call people who have left voice mails over the last month that I unfortunately ignored.

Life is a cycle of busyness and relaxation and the balance has been awful this past month, BUT the wheel did not break and I did not collapse and fall off of it.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Yep, that was a great party! Thanks!