Monday, June 4, 2007

Mini Cooper looks big in UK

Having just returned from our whirlwind trip to Newcastle for our nephew's wedding it was not very encouraging that a Mini Cooper over there looks like a BIG car. On top of that they pay 3 times what we do for petrol. I remember the gas crisis of the 1970s and for a period of time smaller cars were manufactured. When did SUVs become so popular and why? At the wedding there was a Land Rover but it looked so out of place among the smaller cars.

The wedding was at Lumley Castle in Chester-le-Street, near Durham. This was our second visit to Lumley. Rod surprised me with a night there early in our relationship, actually on my first visit to Newcastle. It is wonderful to imagine what life was like when the castle was built. It is a perfect setting for a wedding.

The last time I stayed at the castle, I was not an addict of golf and did not even notice that a few holes are wrapped around the castle property. Next time, I am bringing the clubs along. I think I can fit them into my sister-in-law's tiny car, although her suitcase for the one night stay, did not fit in the boot.

Knitting update: Lots of progress during the trip on my maroon cardigan in seed stitch. I think the sleeve is going to be too wide, so I may have to stitch and cut it. I am knitting the sleeve in the round. It just might be OK and after all of this work, there is no way I am going to rip it out.

No comments: