Friday, June 29, 2007

You will come back, You will come back, You will come back

For the last few weeks, I have been knitting a lot and on a lot of projects. I think I have 4 active, unfinished projects for a variety of reasons. I have been knitting the alpaca sweater for a few months making lots of progress. Unfortunately the sleeves are waaaaaay too wide so I am going to have to stitch and cut them. I started a Baby Surprise jacket from Noro yarn that I bought at Wolcott in Cambridge. I am knitting a Star dish cloth thanks to Jessica's pattern and I started a pair of socks.

Last week, as a I contemplated all of my unfinished projects, I planned to pack them all to take to Star Island and finish them. Metaphorically, Star is a place where I can gather all of the loose ends of my life. It is so simple out there, that there is space to grow, and think and play and finish projects that would not get finished otherwise. This plan to finish 4 projects seemed like a good plan and then . . . . We hear from the All Star II chairs that the fire marshal has shut down Star Island.

WHAT?????? We have gone to Star since 1994 and not missed a year. A myriad of emotions have occupied my last 72 hours. And I guess those unfinished knitting projects will get finished sometime, just not on Star, unless it is next year. We will go back, we will go back, we will go back.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Wow, sorry to hear this. Miriam L had a vague reference to this on Facebook, but I didn't get it. Do something fun that week!

George Russell said...

Sal - what an unpleasant surprise knowing how much Star is part of your family's lives. You'll have to compensate but I sure couldn't suggest how. If we had a place in VT......?