Sunday, February 10, 2008

Why is it hard to see our own gifts?

So, yes the rally yesterday was really wonderful. Roberta lit a candle today in appreciation for it at church today. It brought 20 women of First Parish closer to each other. Even partners of some of those women came up to me at social hour to thank me for having it.

I really enjoy these rallies and running them FOR ME, seems very easy.

The construct is very simple. There is one LAW, and 4 principles.

The Law of 2 feet says, move from a session if it is not working for you. It is absolutely OK to get up and leave. In fact true Open Space has bumblebees who pollinate one session with content from another.

The 4 principles are:

It starts when it starts
Whoever is there, is exactly who should have been there
Whatever happens is the only thing that should have happened
When it's over it's over

A central theme yesterday, was that we do not see our "gifts" as being creative. A beautiful singer does not see that as a gift. Neither does the person who analyzes and crunches number. Neither do I see that my gift is to create the vessel for others to fill. Daddy used to do that. He would create the environment and step back and watch us all enjoy it. The most wonderful example was Rod's first family reunion. Dad made sure there was a cricket field set up to include Rod.

It just seems easier to see others' gifts than our own, WELL for me that is. Maybe because our gift often come so naturally, often seem like little effort, often are like rolling off a log. It makes sense but it is still surprising.

I am off to San Diego tomorrow for 4 days. I love traveling. I pack a good novel, my knitting and my IPod. I love watching people in airports, and on airplanes. I love that 6 hour span to read something uninterrupted. Back on the red eye Thursday night. See previous post about red eye.

No comments: