Sunday, May 25, 2008

My Ruby

Don't ask me why, but I am trying to keep finger nail polish on my nails since my first ever manicure 3 weeks ago. For someone like me this is near impossible which explains why I have never done it before. My so supportive husband is very doubtful that I will be successful. "You scratch rubies!" was his comment.

TANGENT ALERT: a few years ago, we both noticed a scratch on the top of my engagement ring. While it was getting checked out by the jeweler, he told Rod that this could not be a ruby and that it must be a rubellite. Rod freaked out and had it assessed. It is a ruby. "Your wife is very hard on jewelry." said the jeweler.

BACK from the tangent: Both of my also supportive children independently said with questioning in their voices, "You are wearing nail polish, I don't think I have ever seen you with nail polish . . . "

Rod and I were walking back from town yesterday, and looking for the earring that Bethany might have lost the day before. "If we can find your ruby at Wilson's Farm, we can find anything." was Rod's comment

Twice is 2 years I lost my ruby. The first time, I knew where I lost it and the facilities engineer at Polaroid, ripped out the Sheetrock in the bathroom, where it had dropped, and brought it to me. The second time, I was on the phone, reached down to touch my ring and ONLY PRONGS. I had just been to Wilson's Farm (their old smaller farm stand) on a busy Saturday. Rod arrived home just at that time and Bethany ran down the front walk saying "Mommy is very upset".

We drove to Wilson's. I did not want to go in to look, since I knew it would be impossible to find it, so parked in front while Rod went in. He came out a few minutes later with the ruby cradled in his hand, just like the Polaroid engineer the year before. He found it just in front of the register I had used, just lying there on the floor. At that time, because I didn't want to be disappointed again, I said "I don't want to wear it anymore, because I don't want to lose it." BUT I cannot not wear it. We had it reset a few years ago, with higher prongs.

I am very lucky and very hard on my ruby. BTW, I also lost one of the diamonds in my ring, and found it as well. LUCKY!!!!!

No comments: