Monday, July 21, 2008

Swimming in Lake Champlain and games

I grew up spending summers on Lake Champlain. In 1964, Mom and Dad bought Gardiner Island with my grandparents and Aunt and Uncle. We owned the island from 1964-1976. Only 12 years, but summers = swimming in the Lake and playing games.

This Saturday, with friends and family we biked, got really hot, rode to a beach and swam in the Lake. I know some people love salt water, and the Cape BUT not me. We were talking this weekend that it is a good thing that some people retire to the Cape or Florida and some people retire to Vermont. Otherwise, we would all be in the same place. We can visit other places, but my heart is in Vermont.

For me, as a I slog through the week, what I will be anticipating is another swim in the Lake. I could have staying there for hours, and in fact tried to get a group to go for a midnight swim. Circumstances happened which prevented the midnight swim, but I suspect that there will be one this summer.

Playing games is the other summer activity which defined and continues to define my summer. For hours we would play card games, and board games. This filled in the time, when we were water logged, or it was not swimming weather. It is fitting then that Saturday included 2 VERY good Settlers games and a few more converts, I think.

1 comment:

Chris said...

I hereby tag you for the 7 Random Facts meme. Details on my site. I'm sorry.