Saturday, November 28, 2009

Shopping and Black Friday - out of sync

I am sorry to offend anyone but I don't get Black Friday. If I needed a new flat screen TV maybe. The older I get the less I like crowds and the less I actually need to buy. My niece had to be at work at Starbucks at 4am to serve the shoppers and in fact worked Thanksgiving as well. OK, I admit it, I went by a Starbucks on Thanksgiving to get my latte and because of me, those workers had to be there. I could have boycotted Starbucks on Thanksgiving but I really wanted a latte. Gotcha, I am part of the dynamic. In the good 'ole days, retail stores were closed ALL DAY on Thanksgiving.

On NPR yesterday was an interesting article about discounted purchasing. Yes, in the good 'ole days, rarely were things discounted, and I am old enough to remember those days. We have created box stores and Black Friday shopping. Again, I don't want to offend anyone who participated yesterday, since that is their entertainment and choice and maybe need to save money. Even if I wanted or needed something I would have never ventured out yesterday to get it. There are other areas that I am out of sync like downsizing rather than thinking about a McMansion. Less stuff not more stuff.

So, for all those Black Friday shoppers, I hope you scored some great deals and got what you wanted and had a good time.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't know anyone who shops on "Black Friday" for fun. But I do know people who do it because they want to give nice gifts to family and that is the way they can afford to do so. But personally, I won't go near a retail establishment on that day. I hate crowds (that's why I left NYC!)