Friday, February 5, 2010

Have I told you Lately that I Love my Job

This week, I had the opportunity to head out to Mountain View, CA for the second time in three weeks. This is the Intuit Epicenter so when I get out there, it is usually a really great experience. Tuesday we had a wonderful Extended Staff offsite. The last few days, I spent some time with the group that I support and with my HR colleagues.

At this time of year, all managers receive their Annual Employee Survey scores. I thought last week "This is one of my favorite days of the year at Intuit." Managers take these reports so seriously. They were pouring over the results and trying to figure out how to attack the opportunity areas. I am sure there are not too many companies where MOST managers are so serious about the results. The first year I worked here, we actually moved a manager to an individual contributor role, because the scores for that gorpu were so low. We don't tolerate "not great" managers.

I also participated in a couple of brainstorming conversations with colleagues which got my juice going. We are trying to demystify Talent Planning, trying to make it something that we actually do, and measure our results. Our question is "Why don't we do Talent Planning?". I think we are getting to the bottom of this answer.

So as I fly back to Waltham, not feeling exactly up to par (that is NOT going to be a blog topic or a Facebook entry, I will spare you those details), I reflect on the great company I work for and the current great boss I have. I am grateful for both of those, and I am grateful that just over 3 years ago, I started working for a Great Place to Work.

No comments: