Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Nordic Skating - who knew I could fly across the ice




Yesterday at Coniston we went to North Hero to repeat our 2 mile trek out to Knight Island. Last year there were a few inches on snow on the ice, so we walked out. We also had Qammi with us and she thought we were crazy to be out on the ice. In fact she did not want to leave Knight Island to come back to the shore, since she could not see the shore from the island.

Yesterday was an entirely different experience. There is almost no snow at all, and Hero's Welcome which is a country store in North Hero rents nordic skates. Google them to see what they are like. For me, after I got up my courage, it was like flying across the ice. The movement is very similar to cross country skiing and you have poles for balance. Even with the poles I managed to fall twice, but that did not matter. You can get gliding pretty fast on these nordic skates.

The ice was beautiful and for the most part smooth. The sun came from behind the clouds, and away we went. G and J and the Svenson Jas family. Some of our party had regular skates on, but Murg and I rented these skates. Regular skates are not as good on parts of the ice. The nordic skates are much better when there are bumps on the ice or paths where snow mobiles, or trucks (yes trucks) have gone across the ice.

Looking down at the ice was a bit eerie. You could see at least 8-10 inches in most places so it felt pretty safe. What was disconcerting were the cracks and settling of ice that you could hear. This sounds like gun shots in the distance, but we realized it was ice melting and settling and cracks occurring in the ice. The Svenson Jas family who were with us, had a crack form in a few directions, right in front of them.

Once or twice, I got going pretty fast and wished that I were a bit more adventurous. That being said, I did feel like I was flying over the ice, and I think these will be a purchase for next winter or maybe later this winter if the ice holds out.

10 miles south of where we were, in Burlington in the open part of Lake Champlain there is no ice on the lake, but in Colchester Bay, and in the bay in front of North Hero, the ice is thick and safe and very exciting.

Who knew I could fly across the ice?

No comments: