Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Observations of San Francisco

I am here at an off site with my HR team and have some observations.

The weather here is worse than Boston right now. Rain and pretty cold weather, maybe 60 degrees. Folks are walking around in down parkas with fur lined hoods! These don't come out in Boston until it drops to 20 or 30 degrees. Most of today there was a light mist or drizzle. Every local has an umbrella. The visitors did not come prepared and there are umbrellas you can buy from your hotel room which cost $30. In NYC the vendors come out as soon as the rain starts and sell $5 umbrellas. I saw no vendors here today. As an aside, the office buildings have racks with long plastic bags to put your wet umbrella in. Again, how civil. I tried to take a picture of the rack but the guard stopped me. Really?

People wait until the lights say walk even when no traffic is coming. They don't seem in a hurry and are pretty civil as they pass on the street.

There are many homeless people and I suspect the climate is part of the reason. A local said that they take good care of their homeless. Another local said a homeless person set up a tent in front of their building. It sounded like normal stuff. One homeless man was in his sleeping bag with a miner's light while he read. I have never seen that in boston.

This is the second time I have been fooled by SF weather. I should have brought a fleece and left my sandals at home and packed my $5 umbrella from NYC.

Those are my first day observations!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: