Friday, April 15, 2011

Patriots Day in Lexington

This is my favorite time of year in Lexington as the Minutemen start appearing, and the town spruces itself up for the many visitors. However, it always reminds me why I am a pacifist.

Our church is perched just off the green where the battle takes place early Monday morning. Watching it always makes me sad though, to watch men (they mostly are) shoot each other at such short range. We have such strong opinions about events and our beliefs. The Redcoats marched through the night or early morning to hold on/protect what they thought was theirs and to enforce orders from their country. I think about our Civil War where brothers shot brothers, and then in Libya where that is still happening.

I could never serve in an armed force where I would have to use a gun against another individual. I cannot even watch this in a movie. How do they do it?

Will there ever be an end to Wars? Are our beliefs so strong that we can not sort them out without bearing arms?

Nevertheless I will be there Monday morning at 4:30 am to watch the re-enactment, and to party for the rest of the day with visitors and community members. This is our BIG day of the year.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: