Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Since you asked- my retirement so far

Many people have asked me "How is retirement?" and I to their question i ask "What is not to like about this?"

I reflected on my walk today about how it is going. I have re-joined the YMCA and am going to yoga at least three times a week. Every other day I lift weights and every day I do some cardio, so I am taking care of myself in the exercise arena.

I have a few regular groups that I attend, knitting, quilting, beading and a women's group so I am taking care of myself in the social arena.

I have read at least 15 books which is a huge increase. I often walk to the library to read the daily newspaper.

I am over halfway scanning our 80 boxes of 35MM slides and syncing them to my iPad.

We only eat out once a month so I am cooking lots of healthy food, and not so healthy food, but good anyway, e.g. Cornmeal biscotti.

My sewing machine has been very active, and my sewing room has about 5 current projects laid out.

I have some great trips planned, Brooklyn this weekend to spend Easter with Bee, England to meet two great nieces in May, Nebraska in June for Uncle Chuck's memorial service, General Assembly in Charlotte in June and two weeks on Star in July. Most of these I might have done anyway, but it feels like I can do them since I am retired.

Mostly, I am more relaxed, am taking better care of myself, and I am really happy. I am just a wee bit anxious about not making money.

There are down sides. I miss the people at Intuit. I miss the company and the people there. That is about it.

I am re-inventing myself and what my answer is to "What do you do?"

I am getting trained to be a tutor for WATCH in Waltham and am narrowing down other places to put my energy.

How would I be able to work with all these trips and all these groups?

Life is very Good to me!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: