Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Creativity Happens so I Let it

I have been gradually cleaning up the sewing/guest/study room since I retired. Mostly I have tried to set it up so I can sew there and not take over the kitchen and living room with my projects. For about two weeks I have been sewing in there but yesterday I HAD to move out to move out to the kitchen table and island. I was at a point in the project where I was diverging and auditioning fabrics. I needed the space and the sun light. I threw fabrics out on the counter and for about an hour lay one next to another. I finally narrowed down the fabrics and put the others away. There are times when I cannot be confined to my small sewing room and it would definitely squelch my creativity.

I am back in the sewing room now but I just needed that time and space to create. I also leave projects out on the same kitchen counter when they are nearly done, to see if I like them. I casually glance at them and rearrange, or I get comfortable with how they look and then complete the project. I need the space to leave them out to finish the creation, and it needs to be a space that I pass frequently.

I think my sewing room is too dark and too contained. I dream of my ideal living room which would have a corner where I could leave things out and not clutter the shared living space. My creativity corner.

BTW what I leave out is not clutter but creativity.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: