Thursday, June 9, 2011

Champagne Jellies were my birthday present

I have the best husband in the world. He always gives me thoughtful and appropriate presents. Yesterday he gave me a 31.75 oz box of Bassett's Winegums as my primary present and it was perfect. You Brits will know what they are and of course there is a story behind this.

While visiting London last month we spent glorious time with A and J. M was too busy working so we did not see her. It was j's birthday the next day and while in a shop he commented while pointing to a bag of sweets, "These are my favourites (yes, we are in England for this story so this is correctly spelled) and I can only get them in the states at a shop near Davis Square!"

I thought a bag of these would be a great present for his birthday the next day. Remember that I am challenged by details, so Murg and I were looking for sweets that I described as "champagne" and "jellies"! Every shop we were in, I looked form the bag as did Murg. Finally at the end of the day I held up a bag of Wine gums, and said "Here they are!". Ok, my logic, champagne is close to wine, and we call them jellies in the states, not gums, so this made perfect sense to me.

If I had only one detail wrong, Murg would have understood, because he has learned to do that translation when I say the wrong word. Horizontal instead of vertical. Koala instead of Panda, etc. The fact that I was wrong on both words really confused him.

Going forward in our house J's favorite candies are know as Champagne Jellies. I like the sound of this name better.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

Deborah said...

My father used to regularly purchase things that HE wanted for other family members...and then would grin gleefully as the gift was opened! I hope you both are enjoying the birthday present!