Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Story of the Cowboy Hat

2 years ago in April we traveled to Mesquite Nevada for a mini reunion with our Colorado cousins. This was just before Murg/Rod was sworn is as an American citizen. During that visit my youngest cousin, Hank, and Rod talked a lot about Rod's impressions of Cowboys. In 1988 at Mike and Peg's wedding in Colorado Springs, the cousins wore their WORK Cowboy boots and hats, and their DRESS cowboy boots and hats for the wedding. At this point Rod realized I was not fibbing when I talked about my Colorado Cowboy cousins.

Truth be known, some of my cousins revealed this weekend in Alliance NE (where we were for my Uncle Chuck's memorial service) that they don't wear cowboy boots any more unless they are on a horse. They are too old, the boots are too uncomfortable and you can't walk in them. Their children still wear boots and hats though, and these two Cowboys Mike and Brian Redmond, had their boots and hats on all weekend.  Mike still works on the Lazy EH ranch in Yampa CO, where I lived until I was 11.

After our visit two years ago, Hank thought that Rod as an American citizen should have a Cowboy hat, but he did not know his hat size. He told me this as soon as we saw each other for the weekend. "Easy, I said. Give me your hat, and I will pretend to take a picture of him in it!". Which I did. It fit perfectly.

Our last evening Hank made a short wonderful speech to the gathered family and friends and said "From my head to yours!" and switched his hat to Rod's head. HE GAVE ROD HIS COWBOY HAT! That is such an incredible gift and gesture.


Rod wanted to sleep in his hat that night, and is learning the cowboy hat etiquette, and how to swing his hips to walk like a cowboy. He proudly wore it through the Denver airport. Don't you think he looks pretty cowboylike?

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: