Thursday, June 7, 2012

It is a tough job being a Boston sports fan

As I sit here watching the Sox with a 6-0 lead and the aging Celtics trying to hold off the Heat I chuckle at myself. I have become such a Boston sports fan. I do not trust them and have so many good reasons to not trust them. Buckner 1986, blowing 9-0 lead to the Yankees this spring Yadda, Yadda, Yadda.

Yes, they were down 3 games to 0 to the Yankees in 2004 and won 4 in a row, and the Bruins won last year, and the Patriots have won a few Super Bowls, and blown a couple too.

I think the biggest character trait is that even when we are ahead, we don't trust them. We have been disappointed enough times that we are never comfortable even with a huge lead. A Lakers fan posted on my Facebook, "but you knew they were going to win". No, actually we can never be sure they are going to win.

We live in a part of the country which has some really good sports teams. We win a lot, and we have lots of history. We know about the sports teams we support, we are passionate fans and we wear our hearts on our sleeves.

My husband just laughs at me as my blood pressure rises. Yes, we can overcome a 15 point deficit, but why should we put ourselves 15 point behind? Yes, in the last game you had a 15-0 run against the heat, but do you really want to have to do it again?

Could I just not watch the game? I might miss something important like Rondo or Garnett doing pushups or some other topic that will be discussed and become legend.

A glass of wine, two games on, one we are about to win and the other hopefully we will also win. A nice way to spend a Thursday evening as a Boston sports fan. ARRRG!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: