Friday, June 8, 2012

A Visit puts it all in perspective

Today was my first visit as a hospice volunteer. It was a glorious sunny day outside and the nursing home where I was visiting is one that is pretty quiet and relaxed. I feel like the training I attended helped me with what to expect and what to do.

I am visiting 3 individuals. Two were sleeping and one was awake and talkative. I asked the one who was awake whether she wanted to see the sun. Maybe next week! She was aware enough to know that the Celtics won last night. When I asked her what she likes to read she said People magazine so guess who is going to get caught up on People?

Later in the day, when I was buying myself a Starbucks for my birthday, and sitting at Starbucks, I realized that most of the individual's in the nursing home will never go to a Starbucks or a coffee shop again. Maybe they don't want to, but on my birthday I reflected on the differences between my visit, and what I chose to do for the rest of the day; bought myself lunch, browsed the Merimeko store, shopped for graduation presents and exchanged a gift at the mall.

I know that visiting them will give me much more than I will give them. I know that we will both enrich each others' lives. We will learn about each other and from each other. And, it will give me a new perspective on life and what I choose to do with it.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: