Thursday, November 9, 2017

Planned Parenthood / Stopping to have the conversation

On my way back from yoga on Wednesday morning a woman stood outside a Planned Parenthood clinic in the block adjacent to our condo building, in a bright orange vest with the name tag "Volunteer Greeter".  I slowed down my stride and said "Thanks for being here."  She said back to me "Thanks for taking care of yourself and going to yoga."

Her response caused me to stop and have a conversation with her.  Instead of stopping to smell the roses I found myself stopping to have the conversation.  It might have been that the reading at yoga inspired me to Live in the Moment AND it was definitely that one of the value driven issues I put my energy is to make sure that women have choices about their bodies.  When I hear that someone might be defunding Planned Parenthood my inclination is to send them even more money.  I once told someone "abortion rights are one issue I would go to the mat for."

We talked for about 10 minutes about our experiences, about friends who had to have abortions before they were legal in the United States, about protesters outside this clinic, and we connected in a way that is how I define my theological development.  When I have conversations with people like this, that cause me to grow, and transform, and reaffirm my beliefs and values, then my spiritual development has happened.  It does not have to be inside a sanctuary or fellowship or church for this to happen.  It can happen outside a Planned Parenthood clinic.

I did not catch her name, but next Wednesday on my way back from yoga, if she is greeting people again, I will make sure to get her name and ask how to get on the list to volunteer.  I will stop and have the conversation.

Here is the Leonard Cohen quote my yoga teacher read on Wednesday and I apologize in advance if the swear word offends anyone (this is why I placed it at the bottom and not at the top):



1 comment:

George Russell said...

Thanks for sharing. You’re a great example of how to live in the moment!