Monday, November 6, 2017

Tired of so many catalogues? - Catalog Choice is what I have used for 10 years


This is my dashboard for Catalog Choice 😀💗🙏

I have blogged about this before AND I am still surprised at how many people are not aware of this website so here is my take on it.

Each year I challenge myself to become more green and energy conscious.  In 2007, I decided that the number of catalogues I was getting through the mail was outrageous and was a waste of resources.  I usually shop online and I don't need all of this colored paper.  Even today, when someone offers me print materials for something I say "No thanks, I will go look at it online."

In 2007,  I became aware of Catalog Choice and I started using it.  Immediately, or within a couple of months the number of catalogs decreased.  I keep a stack of catalogs next to my desk and periodically I go in and add them to my opt-out list.  I also check periodically to make sure the request to opt-out is honored.  A couple of companies are not on the Catalog Choice list, so if I have some free time, I actually call the company and ask to be taken off the mailing list and if I am in particular snarky mood I ask "How did you get my name?".

Just this morning I got a mailing from Whole Foods, and I don't want to keep receiving this, AND they are not on Catalog Choice so right after I push send on this blog post I am going to call them.

In the 10 years that I have been using Catalog Choice to opt-out I have only run into a half a dozen companies who are not on the list who I haver had to then call.

My two pet peeves for waste of resources are bottles of water and wasted print received through the mail.  I hope that my efforts on both of these fronts are having a positive result for our precious earth so that it is around for my grand children and in better shape than we received it.


No comments: