Sunday, June 21, 2009

VQF - update and alert - not too much posting in the next few weeks

Wow, it has been almost a week since my last post. The big news is VQF - Vermont Quilt Festival. A and I went up Wednesday night and got back at 5pm today. It is an amazing group of quilts on display, vendors and quilters from all over.

Thursday I took a class called fantasy fabric. Using tulle (pronounced like the word tool), we created 9 inch squares, put thread, yarn, other fabric, ribbons and TINZL on the fabric and then put the tulle over it to trap it all underneath. Some of the TINZL is iradescent, and when you iron it, it changes color. You can also make a sandwich of other TINZL. My final project was a quilt of Channel One at Coniston.

Friday, I worked two shifts, so that next year, I can sign up for the best classes before the masses get to sign up. We also visited the vendors and admired photographed the incredible quilts.

Saturday I took an entirely different classes, thread painting. It took me 6 hours to make a tree and some bushes, but I learned the technique.

The great thing about VQF is that is gives you all kinds of inspiration for future projects. My favorite quilt store Portsmouth Fabric Company had a great Kaffe Fassett kit for a queen size bed. I walked by 10 times and on the 11th time decided it was too good to pass up. Pictures to follow when it is done.

To be among so many other quilters, mostly women, to experience the energy, to admire and talk about quilts for 4 days is rejuvenating. Onward to General Assembly, a few days of work and then Star Island. Kind of like being retired, which was supposed to happen on June 8th of this year. I love my job too much to retire just yet and I have to pay for next year's VQF.

Not too many posts in the next few weeks, unless I steal some time at GA.

Happy Summer

No comments: