Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Grief - one year later

Just a year ago, Autumn broke his leg and we had to put him down. For about a week prior to today, I have been thinking of today and wondering how I would feel. Too bad that a happy day like St. Patrick's Day is now tainted by memories from a year ago.

As usual with the passage of time, the year has gone quickly, a lot of water over the dam AND it feels like it just happened yesterday. I will never forget how helpless and hopeless I felt that day. I had never seen my daughter or my husband so stricken with grief. There was nothing I could do but cover people with blankets and make sure there was food in front of us.

Bee is so far away this year, and I cannot look in her eyes to see how she is doing, but I have to assume that she is handling it the way she has handled tough things all her life. Not the way I do by wearing it on my sleeve but in her own private, contemplative, appropriate way.

There has been a faint dark cloud following me around most of today. Another year, and another passage of deep felt grief.

No comments: