Thursday, April 29, 2010

Dumpster Diving - never thought I would

I hope I do not offend anyone with this topic, but I never thought I would resort to dumpster diving. Last week for our Earth Day celebration, we re-branded our recycling so that is it clearer what to recycle where. Our office has made HUGE improvements this past week on our recycling. This combined with the landlord introducing a single stream recycling in our blue recycle office bins.

I found myself all week, reaching into the trash barrel and removing yogurt contains and soda cans for someone who cannot read the signs for where to put plastics and aluminum cans, and instead put recycle things in the trash. I stopped short of saying someone who does not care, because I am practicing "Assume Positive Intent".

We now have ceramic mugs right above the coffee machine, and we moved the paper cups so that they are hard to find. Greg wanted to buy 3 oz. paper cups. I thought that was a bit extreme. We run the mugs through a dishwasher, so there is always a clean one ready to use.

Our minister preached on Green stuff on Sunday and she made the point that this topic of Green and recycling can produce people who are holier-than-thou. I am one of those who is on the cusp of being holier-than-thou, so instead I will stick to dumpster diving and doing their recycling for them. They won't even know I am doing it.

No comments: