Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Length of Blogs and content really matter

I realized just now as I abandoned reading a very long blog, that for me to read a blog to the end it must maintain my interest it needs to be short, and probably fit on one computer screen. Some of this has to do with the advent of facebook and twitter, which are short snippets of information.

I suppose if the blog were well written, that I would continue reading to the very end no matter how long. I also might have kept reading it if the topic were interesting. I landed there surfing the net and through a particular series of clicks, it seemed interesting, but as soon as my interest waned, I scrolled down to see how much more, and since there were 5 computer screens worth, it was not worth my time to finish reading.

So I think the following are important for me to start and finish reading blog posts:
  • Interesting title that catches my eye OR
  • Known author who I follow
  • Writing keeps my interest and is therefore well written
  • Balance of human interest and humor
Part of the reason I am thinking about blog posts, is that this week I am a guest blogger on the Quickbase Team blog. I am thinking more about my writing, my content and my style. I have never really cared if anyone follows me on my blog, and since I feed my blogs into facebook more people read what I write, and make comments.

My blog is me, pure and simple. Sometimes the posts are long, and a rant, or short and a description of a thought I just had, or something I have been thinking about for a while.

I wonder if this fits on one computer screen?

No comments: