Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Sally's Trip to the Dentist

As I lay nearly horizontal in the dentist chair today, of course memories of the dentist chair from my early years came flooding over me. The drills were a lot noisier, a lot slower and a lot more smelly. The Novocaine, I am sure, hurt more. The dentist, I am sure, had NO empathy for the patient. Unfortunately, I spent a lot of hours in the chair as a child.

I now have the most wonderful dentist in the world, Fawn Rosenberg. I refer anyone to her who even hints that they need a dentist, and she sends me 2 free movie passes. Now she has a new technician, who I love. The very first technician that Fawn had, Laura, was wonderful, and since Laura there has not been one I love as much. Mind you, I have been going to Fawn for over 20 years.

I approach the chair, with my distractions and yoga breaths. Today I had my ipod and listened to Mystic Chorale tunes. The technician, talked to me, asked me about myself and in general is what I need in the chair. I need distractions, and I need someone to act as if they really care about me.

Fawn has always cared about me, and today, after my "deep" cleaning, she filled a small cavity at no charge, because it was one she worked on less than one year ago. When was the last time, any professional, did something for you, for free? Dentists have gotten better since I was a kid. The needle however, for Novocaine, is still HUGE!

No comments: