Saturday, April 3, 2010

Life is Not Fair - God are you listening? You messed up down here!

My two facebook posts, said it succinctly because there is a limit to the number of characters but it is now time for a post. In fact, I split a facebook post into two when I encountered the limit this afternoon. That is what cut and paste is for after all.

I have a friend from the late 70s and early 80s, who I have been on and off in touch with since then. We reconnected when she was publishing her first book, I was in her second book and Friday night at Barnes and Noble I just happened to have a neuron fire which said, "I wonder if Susan's third book is out yet?" YES, it is out. The computer said that they had them in stock. I could not find them on the shelf, and the clerk searched high and low to find a copy buried in the stock room. Apparently she involved 5 Barnes and Noble employees in her quest for a copy. The book is not really out yet, since the publication date says May 4, 2010 so I got my hands on a very recently shipped copy, which obviously was not supposed to be out on the shelf yet.

I came home last night, and read 1/3 of the book, and could not sleep this morning past 6am because I wanted to read more. This is what Susan's books do to me. I have to read them all at once, or in a few sessions. She is a great writer, and since I know her, and her story, I am even more intrigued. So this morning, I read another 1/3 before heading out for the day. Just before I left for the day, I emailed Susan that I was loving her book. When I got back from my day, an email from her waited in my inbox. Her husband who she had finally found love with, had died in January of this year. Damnit I said. Life is just not fair. Why couldn't, whoever controls this crap, just leave her alone and let them be happy for a few more years.

She was in her 50s before she met Dennis after her first book "Chosen by a Horse". In fact her second book was about their love affair and was called "Chosen Forever". She deserves someone to love her and to love. She deserves to be happy. It is hard for me right now to be objective and I feel so badly that she had yet another loss in her life.

Life is not fair and if there is a God, she had really made a huge mistake on this one. If only we could give each other some of our happiness, and long lasting love. Must some people be tried and challenged all their life and others seemingly have it easier?

I guess by being in community with each other we do share our souls. We light candles to share joys and sorrows. When someone lights a candle about a past joy or sorrow for us, it helps us move along the journey or grief or pride.

Susan and I are getting together this summer with another friend Barb. We were the dynamic trio in our younger days. We were pretty stupid some days, and we had a lot of fun together. We have a bond from those days such that Susan's pain and sorrow are mine too. Right now I am in the phase of grief that is anger. I am sure Susan is further along the path of grieving.

However, Life is not Fair and for the third time this week, I find myself saying this over and over. These 3 situations on the surface are not about me, but about someone in my web . . . so, in fact, they are about me.

No comments: