Sunday, June 6, 2010

Golf and Behavior changes not so easy for perfectionists

Last Sunday while playing golf G and M (2 brothers) after the first 9 holes they dissected my back swing and holding of the club. Mind you, there are just a few people I will accept tips from on my golf stroke. My attitude until now has been, "the ball went forward, and most of the time it went in the air, happy for both of those, and it is a beautiful walk today with good conversation."

Since I am playing at least twice a week this summer, this is the time for change. My "back nine" were horrible after the dissection, but I knew that would be the case. Thursday and yesterday I was still working out the kinks so less than half of my strokes were solid. I know, because I teach change to managers for work, that change is hard. You actually have to rewire the brain for the new behavior and not fire the old response AT ALL during the rewiring. AT ALL is extreme but pretty true in the case of my golf stroke. For the last week I have focused on two things that are different in my stroke.

1- don't bend my left elbow on the back swing and
2- hold the club like you are holding two baby birds.

Two things to change is almost too many BTW. I tell managers to focus on one change at a time.

We can all improve our behavior and responses until the day we die and for those of us ENFPs who are constantly trying to improve things this is our path. I cannot say that I have improved that many behaviors. My first grade teacher commented that I should work on patience as did my manger recently, 50 years later.

Think about the concept of golf for a minute and of all the variables. I asked G and M for a list of other things to work on, after I have institutionalized these two, which may have been unfair but this is the summer of Golf for me. Got to shave off a few strokes while still enjoying the game. Got to not bend that elbow.

So I think we can change if we are aware, have feedback, focus on the rewiring, and have a healthy dose of patience and ability to laugh at ourselves, during the clumsiness of the process. I will never play scratch golf or be on the WPGA but I will continue to enjoy the game while getting better and peeking at the next item on that list.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: