Monday, July 12, 2010

With some people this is how I act - all joking aside

One of my fellow shoalers this last week comes to Star about every 5 years.  Almost as soon as we step on the boat to travel to the island, we are zinging each other.  This happens with me and certain people.  I am sure there is some Freudian analysis that would explain it.  Maybe he reminds me of my Dad or my brothers.  In any case, on Tuesday, R turned to me and said "Can we stop this?" to which I replied "Yes".  Our efforts to only speak gently and kindly to each other was hysterical, and almost sugar sweet, BUT we made it through most of the week, and BTW, we got to know each other in a different way, a deeper way.  It was nice, and would never have happened unless he said "Can we stop this?"

Another conversation the last morning, was about joking.  I still maintain that all joking has a certain amount of truth, otherwise, why would the joke come to you in the first place?  B and I totally agree on this one, and we are both pretty sensitive so the jokes hit us harder than others.  I have been on this rant for a while at work and at play.   Some joking is funny, and light-hearted but some is down right mean.  How do you walk the fine line between the two?  I cross over that line a lot, particularly with people like R who trigger me.

Pretty funny that I blog about these two topics together.  They are joined in my mind and are room for my personal improvement.

No comments: