Monday, November 10, 2008

A Day in the Life of ME

I just scanned my Inbox for today and realized that this is my life, although today seemed a bit more extreme than normal. This is only my business email Inbox, to say nothing of my personal email Inbox. I try to keep the 2 separate.

Here Goes my day:

  • Because we drove down from Vermont my 9:30am meeting was 1/2 on the phone and 1/2 live. We covered over 10 agenda items at this meetings.
  • Our company placed #22 on the Boston Globe Top Places to work so there were details today that I handled around that
  • An employee only got 1/10 of his paycheck and I had to help him trace that down
  • 3 VPs are visiting from Mountain View this week, so those logistics were discussed
  • We organized an ice cream social to celebrate the Boston Globe award, and we needed to make sure that did not collide with the 3 VP meetings
  • We ordered prizes for the Christmas party
  • I was on a phone call for 90 minutes with all the other HR people who support Marketing
  • I checked to make sure our quarter mobility data was correct
  • An employee stopped by dissatisfied with his role
  • We checked and some of the organizational data for our Annual Employee Survey, which started today, could have been confusing, so we try to sort that out
  • blah, blah, blah

My point is that some days are very predictable and steady and I can actually tell you what I will be working on and some are like today where a lot of my day was eaten up my unpredictable stuff.

I should plan for the unpredictable ones, which I guess would not make them unpredictable . . .

It does not help that I could not sleep last night and when the alarm went off at 5am, I said "Well that is not good news!"

I love my job, and thrive on days like today because I can handle this many things at once without letting any of the BIG ONES drop to the floor. I will sleep well tonight.

No comments: